I have been pretty rubbish at updating my blog in recent months because I have been very busy with client work. A great problem to have from a work point of view, but not very good on the blogging front. So I got to thinking about ways around this problem.
Here are my top tips for how to blog when you are just too busy:
- Write a content schedule.Plan out your posts in advance and that way you are more likely to make time to get them done. You don’t have to come up with new ideas when you are already fully stretched.
- Write posts in advance. Once you have your content schedule it’s easy to identify those posts that are not time-specific and can be written in advance. If you have a quiet period try and get three or four posts written and ready to go, that way when you’re busy you can simply take one off the shelf.
- Imagine you are getting paid for it. If this were a client blog then there is no way I would ever miss a deadline. But because this is something I do for me, it is easy to put it off or prioritise other things. Give it a higher priority.
- Invite a guest blogger to write for you. Not as grand as you think, this could simply be someone you know or work with, or a fellow blogger who you think your readers would like to hear from. Then later you can return the favour.
- Short but sweet. Don’t be tempted to write a 500 word article once a month, better to write 50 words once a week. Remember a good blog entices readers in with regular, relevant updates (I know, I am guilty of not following this one). If you disappear for a month, so do your readers.
So there you have it, a few words of wisdom which I, for one, am going to try to follow for the next few months. Watch this space.